It’s now day 7--Jesus starts the morning off traveling again from Bethany to Jerusalem, and they see the fig tree, that according to Mark 1212-14, had now died, and the disciples were shocked. Jesus just told them in direct words-- you have to have F.A.I.T.H.--that includes ZERO doubt, and they (we) could do these things as well. Jesus once again in His ministry advocating the importance of F.A.I.T.H.
Today which for us is tuesday marks the last day that Jesus will travel and teach. This day has been called by some a day of controversy, or a day of rejection--it’s both. I call it a day of Parables & Prophecy. Jesus is teaching anyone in earshot, good life lessons, and to watch for things to come. Matthew 21:23 - 24:51 is where you will find the most in one continuous reading. As this will be lengthening in explaining in detail, i have just given you some highlights in short. I would encourage you to study them in detail....some are for then and now. Some are yet to come, and need to be watched for. Remember there is no such thing as “singular” when Jesus teaches, these parables have many layers.
- Jesus authority questioned (Matt. 21:23-27)-- in the temple courts Jesus goes right on teaching, always the priority for Him. The Priest and Elders demand wanted to know what right He had for making a mess in the temple. He challenged them with a question on john baptism coming from God or man. They could not answer, therefore Jesus did not answer them. They didn’t want truth..they wanted an excuse to discredit Jesus, and his ministry would become a joke.---nope--didn’t happen...moving on....
- The Parable of the 2 sons (Matt. 21:28-32) --also this is a good lesson for all--it was targeted at the Priest and those associated with them.
- The Parable of the Tenants (Matt.21:33-46, mark.12:1-12, luke 20:9-19) -- there is so much here to break down, but in short, God owns the vineyard..collected rent from the jews--in the O.T. they were warned by prophet after prophet that the rent was due--as their fruit was not worthy--the jews mistreated their tenants or the prophets by beating them...by killing them. God decided the vineyard is mishandled and others will get to tend it..God sent Jesus--and again the jews would not share the vineyard, and killed Him..but in doing so--the vineyard is now shared by all---gentiles alike...anyone who follows Jesus.
- The Parable of the Wedding Banquet (matt. 22:2-1matt4, luke 14:16)in short-- Jesus is offering a salvation-- a lasting relationship with the creator--in a place our heart longs for--but our mouth can’t speak, and our minds can’t fully grasp. In this invitation there are sadly not many takers--those who ignore the first invitation are the jews...when Jesus sends people out to find more guest to fill up the table--he is referring to the gentiles...anyone who will follow him.
- The Marriage and the Resurrection (matt. 22:23-33, mark 12:18-27, luke 20:27-40)--this is directed of course to us as a life lesson--but targeted at the time to the Sadducees--a wealthy & sophisticated class of people who didn’t believe in the resurrection--but in Jesus time they exerted powerful political and religious influence. -they only excepted the first 5 books of the bible.
- The Love Commandment (matt. 22:34-40, mark 12:28-34)-- tricks didn’t work with the Sadducees--so the Pharisees gave it another try--with the greatest commandment.--Jesus points out that LOVE is the greatest commandment to follow--it covers the law & the prophets.
- The Seven Woes (matt. 23:1,mark 12:38, luke 20:45)-- this is targeted at the Pharisees--who wanted to be the best for God--and ended up in some ways of being the worst. They would teach the message on sundays better than anyone to win souls. Then outside the church act so ill, that people would follow-which would lead them to hell...thinking they were on their way to God. Jesus of course understanding our failures, Jesus told them--you must LIVE--what you teach.
- Signs of the End of the Age (also known in matt.24:1-51) as the Olivet Discourse--you can find this is mark 13 & luke 21--but its is in Matthew chapter 24 and 25 is all on the end times....the last days...the tribulation...the millenium and so are found. the parable of the 10 virgins, the talents are about be ready at the rapture. Will you be saved or left behind. The sheep and the goats is a good life lesson for christian example and living, but it prophecy for the days after the tribulation is over, and just before the 1000 yr reign of Jesus..who on the earth as King at this time..judges the goats, and sends them to everlasting punishment.-- I ENCOURAGE YOU to read this carefully.
In closing: Jesus spent the day teaching lessons..to those who wanted them...to those who hated them...to those needed them...to those who hated Him. Now those will seek and plan to kill Him. Now Jesus will retreat back to Bethany will friends for rest....until the passover in the evening of thursday.
For the Saints and for the Lamb.
Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, NLT Translation Use discernment (Acts 17:11, 1 Thes. 5:21).CLICK HERE to read the BIBLE
CLICK HERE to find A CHURCH